Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 2 - Samkhya Yoga - Sloka 4



The entire content of this post is from Swami Chidbhavananda's translation of  The Bhagavad Gita, published by Ramakrishna Mission.

Arjuna declines to fight against the revered ones - slokas 4-6

Chapter 2 - Samkhya Yoga - Sloka 4
katham bhishmam aham sankhye dronam cha madhusudana I
ishubhih prati yotsyami puja ahor arisudana II
अर्जुन उवाच 
कथं भीष्मं अहं संख्ये द्रोणं च मधुसूदन ।
इषुभिः प्रति योत्स्यामि पूजा अर्हौ अरिसूदन ।।

Arjuna said
O Slayer of Madhu, O slayer of foes, how shall I with arrows counter attack Bhishma and Drona who are worthy of worship? 

O Krishna, it befits one like you being adored as Madhusudana and as Arisudana; for your doing away with a demon and a sworn enemy is justifiable. But my position is quite different. I dare not even debate with the venerable elders I behold here. How then shall I give battle to them, with weapons in my hand? Will I not be condemned as one who waged war with the worshipful grandsire and with the adorable preceptor?

No comments:

Post a Comment