Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga - Sloka 17 & 18

The entire content of this mail is from Swami Chidbhavananda's translation of Bhagavad Gita , published by Ramakrishna Mission

1 Gita Sloka  every day - Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga - Sloka 17


Katham viddhyam aham yogin tvam sada parichintayan I
Keshu keshu cha bhaveshu chintyah assi bhagavn maya II sloka 17
कथम्  विद्ध्यं अहं योगिन् त्वं सदा परिचिन्तयन् I
केषु केषु च भावेषु चिन्त्यः अस्सी भगवन् मया II श्लोक 17

How may I know you, O yogin, by constant meditating. In what various aspects  are you, O Lord, to be thought of by me?

How shall my extrovert mind cognise your presence in things objective? The sight of the toys of the child stirs up thought of that child in the mother: May I, in that manner, have the means to revel in you through the things of the world?
As the fruits and toy elephant remind one of the true fruits and elephant, the symbols and images remind the devotee of the eternal God.

1 Gita Sloka  every day - Chapter 10 - Vibhuti Yoga - Sloka 18

Vistarena atmanah yogam vibhutim cha janardana I
Bhuyah kathaya truptih hi shrunuvatah na asti me amrutam II sloka 18
विस्तरेण आत्मनः योगम् विभूतिम् च जनार्दन I
भूयः कथय तृप्तिः हि शृणुवतः न अस्ति मे अमृतं II श्लोक 18

Tell me again in detail, O Janardana, of your yoga powers and attributes; for I am not satiated with hearing your life infusing words.

He is Janardana who is adored by the people both for earthly enjoyments and for emancipation. Yoga here indicates the power to know and handle things properly. They are the attributes of God which spontaneously remind man of him. Absorption in the attributes of god is as good as the absorption in him. While matters earthy are satiating, matters godly are never so.  The jivatman grows increasingly in divinity as he dwells on the divine attributes of the paramatman.
The relationship between  Iswara and jivatman is like that between magnet and iron.
Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

No comments:

Post a Comment