Monday, January 28, 2013

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 9 - Rajavidya Rajaguhya Yoga - Sloka 16

The entire content of this mail is from Swami Chidbhavananda's translation of Bhagavad Gita, published by Ramakrishna Mission

Iswara is Everything 16-19
1 Gita Sloka  every day - Chapter 9 - Rajavidya Rajaguhya Yoga - Sloka 16


Aham kratuh aham yajnah svadha aham aham  aushadham I
Mantrah aham aham eva aajyam aham  agnih aham hutam II sloka 16
अहं क्रतुः अहं यज्ञः स्वधा अहं अहं औषधं I 
मन्त्रः अहं  अहं  एव आज्यं अहं अग्निः अहं हुतं II श्लोक 16

I am kratu, I am yajna,  I am svadha,  I am the medicinal herb,  I am mantra, I am also the clarified butter,  I am fire,  I am oblation. 

Kratu is a vedic ritual while yajna denotes vedic and post vedic forms of sacrificial worship. The offerings made to the manes is svadha. The food that is medicinal and at the same time nourishing is called aushada. The formative thought behind the chanted hymn is mantra. This sloka supplements the ideas contained in the 24th sloka of the 4th chapter. Apart from god there is no object, no thought or act. Holding everything as he is,is the way to reach him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment