Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ramanuja's Gita Bhashyam - Chapter 3 - Karma Yoga - sloka1 & 2


The entire content of this mail is from Swami Adidevananda's translation of Ramanuja's Gita Bhashya, published by Ramakrishna Mission.

Arjuna's Doubt   1-2
1 Gita Sloka every day - Chapter 3 - Karma Yoga - Sloka 1

Arjuna Uvacha
Jyayasi chetkarmanah te mata buddhih janardhana I
Tat kim karmani ghore mam niyojayasi keshava II sloka 1
अर्जुन उवाच
ज्यायसि चेत्करमनः ते मता बुद्धिः जनार्दन ।
तत् किं कर्मणि घोरे माम नियोजयसि केशव ।। श्लोक १

Arjuna said
If O Krishna, you consider that Buddhi (knowledge) is superior to works, why do you engage me this terrible deed ?

What is said here is this: If the firm adherence to knowledge is the only means to the vision of the self, then how can one accept the idea that devotion to works (karma) leads to it? It was said before that this firm devotion to knowledge forms the means for the vision of the self. It was said that this would arise by the cessation of the activities of all the senses and the mind in relation to their respective sense objects. If the vision of the self is to be attained, by the cessation of the activities of all the senses, then I should engage myself solely to acquire firm devotion to knowledge, abandoning all works. For what purpose then do you engage me in this terrible deed, which consists in the activities of all senses and is thus an obstacle to the vision of the self.

Viyamishrena iva vakyena buddhim mohyasi iva me I
Tat ekam vada nischitya yena shreyah aham apnuyam II sloka 2
वियमिश्रेण इव वाक्येन बुद्धिं मोहयसि इव मे ।
तत् एकं वद निश्चित्य येन श्रेयः अहं अप्नुयं ।। श्लोक २ 

You confuse my mind with statements that seem to contradict each other; tell me for certain that one path by which I could reach the highest good.

Consequently it appears to me as if you confuse my mind with statements that seem to contradict each other'. On the one hand, firm devotion to knowledge which forms the means for the vision of the self, stops the operation of the senses. On the other hand, you exhort me  to action which is of a nature opposite to it. These statements are contradictory and confusing. Therefore tell me clearly the path following which I can take a determined course and win the Supreme Being.

No comments:

Post a Comment