Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ramanuja's Gita Bhashyam - Chapter 2 - sloka 5

The entire content of this post is from Swami Chidbhavananda's translation of  The Bhagavad Gita, published by Ramakrishna Mission.


Chapter 2 - Samkhya Yoga - Sloka 5


Gurun hatva hi maha anubhavan shreyah bhoktum bhaikshyam api iha loke I
hatva artha kaman tu gurun iha eva bhunjiya bhogan rudhira pradigdhan II sloka 5
गुरून हत्वा हि महा अनुभावान श्रेयः भोक्तुं भैक्ष्यं अपि इह लोके ।
हत्वा अर्थ कामान तु गुरून इह एव भुञ्जीय भोगान रुधिर प्रदिग्धान ।। श्लोक ५ 

It is better even to live on a beggar's fare in this world than to slay these most venerable teachers. If I should slay my teachers, though degraded they be by desire for wealth, I would be enjoying only my blood-stained pleasures here.

Again Arjuna, being moved by love, compassion and fear, mistaking unrighteousness for righteousness and not understanding ie., not knowing the beneficial words of Sri Krishna said as follows, " How can I slay bhishma, Drona and others worthy of reverence? After slaying those elders,  though they are intensely attached to enjoyments, how can I enjoy those very pleasures which are now being enjoyed by them? For it will be mixed with blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment