Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ramanuja's Gita Bhashyam - Chapter 4 - sloka 14


The entire content of this mail is from Swami Adidevananda's translation of Ramanuja Gita Bhashya, published by Ramakrishna Mission.

The four grades of People - Sloka 13-15
1 Gita Sloka every day - Chapter 4 -JnanaKarmaSanyasa Yoga - Sloka 14
Uddhava laments Krishna leaving
Na mam karmani limpanti na me karma phale spruha I
Iti mam yah abhijanati karmabhih na sah badhyate II sloka 14
न माम कर्माणि लिम्पन्ति न मे कर्म फले स्पृहा ।
इति माम यः अभिजानाति कर्मभिः न सः बध्यते ।। श्लोक १४ 


Works do not contaminate me. In me there is no desire for fruits of actions. He who understands me thus is not bound by actions.


These actions of varied nature like creations etc., do not contaminate me ie., do not bind me. For the distinctions of gods, men etc are not brought about by me, but by the particular karmas, good and evil, of created beings. Therefore by the process of discriminating between the acquired and the inherent, it will be found that I am not the author of this varied creations. The created and embodied selves who are endowed with bodies and organs at the time of creation in accordance with their own karmas springing from the attachment to fruits etc. experience all enjoyments available in creation. Thus for them (embodied selves) alone there is a desire for the results of creation etc.and for the results of their karmas. There is no desire in me for it.


In the Vishnu Purana, Bhagavan Parasara also  says the same thing - The Lord is the only operative cause in the creation of beings. That from which the creative forces spring constitute the material cause. Leaving aside the material cause, the beings that becomes embodied, does not require the help of any other ting whatsoever. A thing is led into the condition in which it is, only by its own potentiality.


He who knows me to be the agent of creation and still a non-agent, is not tied by previous actions -ie., he is freed from old karma  which obstruct the undertaking of karma yoga by causing attachment to results.     

No comments:

Post a Comment