Saturday, December 3, 2011

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 4 - JnanaKarmaSanyasa Yoga - Sloka 14


The entire content of this mail is from Swami Chidbhavananda's translation of The Bhagavad Gita, published by Ramakrishna Mission.

The four grades of People - Sloka 13-15
1 Gita Sloka every day - Chapter 4 -JnanaKarmaSanyasa Yoga - Sloka 14
Uddhava laments Krishna leaving
Na mam karmani limpanti na me karma phale spruha I
Iti mam yah abhijanati karmabhih na sah badhyate II sloka 14
न माम कर्माणि लिम्पन्ति न मे कर्म फले स्पृहा ।
इति माम यः अभिजानाति कर्मभिः न सः बध्यते ।। श्लोक १४ 


Nor do actions taint me, nor is the fruit of action desired by me. He who knows me is not bound by actions.


Karma produces modifications of the mind  in the egotistic man. 'I do', 'I enjoy' - attitudes such as these are the modifications. But the Lord is free from egoism. He is therefore untainted by actions. It is desire when one seeks a thing not one's own. The Lord has everything contained in him and he transcends them all too. Therefore he has nothing to desire. The spiritual aspirant who comes to know of this glory of the Lord would like to be himself untainted by egoism and free from desire. Emulation of the great is the way of the elite.


Did they, who knew of the actionlessness of the Lord, neglect their duty? The Lord deals with that point in the next sloka.

No comments:

Post a Comment