Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ramanuja's Gita Bhashyam - Chapter 4 - sloka 6


The entire content of this mail is from Swami Adidevananda's translation of Ramanuja Gita Bhashya, published by Ramakrishna Mission.

The Advent & acts of the Incarnation - 4-9
1 Gita Sloka every day - Chapter 4 -JnanaKarmaSanyasa Yoga - Sloka 6



Ajah api san avyayatma bhutanam ishwarah api san I
Prakritim svam adhisthaya sambhavami atmamayaya II sloka 6
अजः अपि सं अव्ययात्मा भूतानां इश्वरह् अपि सं ।
प्रकृतिं स्वं अधिष्ठाय संभवामि आत्ममायया ।। श्लोक ६ 

Though I am birthless & of immutable nature, though I am the Lord of all beings, yet by employing My own nature (Prakriti) I am born out of My own free will.

 Without forsaking any of my special qualities, as supreme rulership, birthlessness, imperishability etc, I am born by my free will. Prakriti means one's own nature. The meaning is that by employment of my own nature and taking a form of my choice, I incarnate by My own will.

The character of my own nature becomes evident from the following sruits  : He who is of sun-like colour, beyond darkness (Tamas); He who abides beyond Rajas (Active matter);This golden Person who is within the sun; within the heart, there is the person consisting of mind, immortal and golden; All mortal creatures have come from the self-luminous person; whose form is light, whose will is truth, who is the self of ethereal space, who contains all actions, contains all desires, contains all odours & tastes; Like a raiment of golden colour. All this elaboration is meant to refute the doctrine of mere apparency of incarnations as taught by Advaitins. Ramanuja, in his Introduction to the Bhashya, upholds the absolute reality of incarnations.

No comments:

Post a Comment