Saturday, October 20, 2012

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 8 - Akshara Brahma Yoga - Sloka 1&2

The entire content of this mail is from Swami Chidbhavananda's translation of The Bhagavad Gita, published by Ramakrishna Mission

The Worship of Iswara 1-8
1 Gita Sloka  every day - Chapter 8 - Alshara Brahma Yoga - Sloka 1
 Azhagar 
Arjuna uvacha
Kim tad brahma kim adhyatmam kim karma purushottama I
Adhibhutam cha kim proktam adhidaivam kim uchyate II sloka 1
अर्जुन उवाच 
किं तद् ब्रह्म किं अध्यात्म किं कर्म पुरुषोत्तम I
अधिभूतं च किं प्रोक्तं अधिदैवं किं उच्यते  I I श्लोक 1

Arjuna said
What is that Brahman? What is Adhyatma? What is karma? O best among men, what is said to be adhibhuta and what is called adhidaiva?

Adhiyajnah katham kah atra dehe asmin amdhusudana I
Prayana kale cha katham jneyah assi niyatamnhih II sloka 2
अधियज्ञः कथं कः अत्र देहे अस्मिन मधुसूदनः I
प्रयाण काले च कथं ज्ञेयः अस्सि नियतात्माभिः I I श्लोक 2

Who or how is adhiyajna here in this body, O Madhusudana? And how at the time of death, are you to be known by the self controlled?

The concluding 2 stanzas of the previous chapter induce Arjuna to raise these seven questions which are a sequel to the topics discussed. The Lord answers them all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment